Yesterday I finished reading the “Seven Year Switch” by Claire Cook and I must say it is one of the best chic lit books that I have read in a while. This book tells the story of Jill Murray and how she copes with her husband coming back into the picture after leaving her and her daughter 7 years ago. I thought Ms. Cook did a great job of exploring Jill’s emotions and her interactions with the people around her. I won’t tell you the ending, but it is definitely worth the read. It would be a perfect book to take along for any remaining vacation trips you have coming up. After the story ends, Ms. Cook gives you some great advice to apply to your own life called “Passport to your next chapter”
There are 7 simple steps that she recommends:
1. SELF. You can’t have self-awareness , self-confidence, or any of those other good self words until you decide to like yourSELF, and who you really are.
2. SOUL SEARCHING. Sometimes it’s just getting quiet enough to figure out what you really want; often it’s digging up that buried dream you had before life got in the way.
3. SERENDIPITY. When you stay open to surprises, they often turn out to be even better than the things you planned. Throw your routine out the window and let spontaneity change your life.
4. SYNCHRONICITY. It’s like that saying about luck being the place where preparation meets opportunity. Open your eyes and ears-then catch the next wave that’s meant for you!
5. STRENGTH. Life is tough. Decide to be tougher. If Plan A doesn’t work, the alpha bet has 25 more letters (204 if you’re in Japan!)
6. SISTERHOOD. Connect, network, smile. Build a structure of support, step by step. Do something nice for someone-remember, karma is a boomerang!
7. SATISFACTION. Of course you can get some (no matter what the Rolling Stones said). Call it satisfaction, fulfillment, gratification, but there’s nothing like the feeling of setting a goal and achieving it. So make yours a good one!
I think Ms. Cook has some great steps! What do you think?